Thursday, January 10, 2019

What Story Does Your Home Tell?




While enjoying a quiet moment recently sipping my morning coffee, I looked around and began to reflect on the memories of years past.  From the couch I'm sitting, I remember our children coming out of their rooms and down the hall on Christmas morning in their pajamas with glee and excitement to open their gifts and begin the day.  

Our piano was a gift I surprised my husband with over 20 years ago when he had told me one day he always wanted to learn to play the piano.  So I bought him a piano and found him a piano teacher.  My mom played piano beautifully and I loved growing up with music in our home. Every day around dinner time, she would sit and play her music with passion.  It was her few moments out of busy days running a household of 5 children and a husband who worked 6 days a week.  Our son is a musician and he began his love of music at age 10.  Our sons children and now our daughter's toddler son have always been drawn to the piano in our home when visiting.  They like to sit at the bench and enjoying the sounds they can create with the keys. It makes me smile to think of the music that has come from our piano.

We have my mother in law's armchair in our living room.  She passed away 3 years ago but this chair was where she spent each day enjoying her favorite television shows and watching the neighborhood activities out her large patio door.  Each time I sit in her chair, I feel her presence. 

My mother in law was an avid reader and for years she worked in the local library.  She kept her favorite old paperbacks in a basket and always told me when she passed, this basket of books would be mine.  I treasure them in our home.  

Our dining room table has had more meals served on it than I could ever begin to count.  When we bought it many years ago, we were a family of 4.  Now we are blessed with a family of 9, but we have been known to squeeze in 14 at this table built for 6.  No one minds it's a tight fit because we are all together sharing stories while enjoying a meal I have prepared.  We aren't remembering we were crowded but just the laughter, or at times, tears or problem solving.

What story does your home tell?



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS