Monday, January 5, 2015

I'm a Soup Lover

Sarcastic Cooking & Seriously Delish

It's Winter and I love soup.  For lunch and dinner.  My husband is a soup lover too...to a certain point.  He's more of a meat man.  And not a huge vegetable lover.  I, in turn, love vegetables of any kind.  So I guess you could say this is my sneaky way of getting him to eat the nutrients he should be having most days.  Is peanut butter a food group all it's own?  I always tell my family, if I go first, please feed Dad something other than peanut butter which would be his main staple if he lived alone. 
When I make my soups, I make big batches and freeze the in smaller containers for days when life doesn't give you any time to cook, but you want a hearty meal.  
What's not to love about soup?  It's warm, comforting and good for the soul.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is at the Top of my Favorites List.
This easy to follow recipe will serve 4-6 and slow cooks 6-8 hours.

~Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup~

Ingredients : 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 sweet yellow onion, diced
3 carrots peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 1/2 cups whole wheat egg noodles
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Add the chicken , onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper to a slow cooker.  Pour in the chicken stock and turn the cooker to low.  Cover and cook for 6 hours.

After 6 hours, take off the lid and add the egg noodles.  Return the cover to the pot and cook for 30 minutes longer.

Add the milk and flour to a water bottle and shake until no lumps remain.  Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and turn the heat to high.  Cook the soup for 1 hour more and stir once or twice during the hour.

Serve in individual bowls and don't forget a basket of crusty bakery bread on the table with butter (or skip the butter and dip the bread into the soup. My personal favorite).

Bon appetit and stay warm!  Happy Tuesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS