Thursday, June 7, 2018

Thoughts


Growing up, I always felt I was in a safe world with familiar things around me.  There were no computers, cell phones, internet, and you turned the channels on the tv by getting up off the couch to turn the dial.(my grandchildren can't believe that one).  I'm sure it wasn't simple for my parents raising five children but they never let us worry about the world events.  There is something about familiar that makes one feel secure.  

Suddenly, the world is making great changes at a fast pace.  Our favorite stores are closing leaving the employees who most of the time had a friendly face greeting you with conversation unemployed.  Television shows that gave you a smile each day are cancelled.  I recently heard ABC has cancelled The Chew with Carla Hall, Michael Symon and Clinton Kelley.  I've recorded and watched it every day for 7 seasons and had the privilege of meeting Mario Batali and Carla Hall in person and have bought and enjoy most of The Chew cookbooks.  

The Clocktower Resort in Rockford was where my husband and I had mini getaway weekends as young busy parents and as our children got older, it became a little family getaway we all enjoyed.  Barbara Anderson's Antiques shop there was where we bought a new ornament to hang on our Christmas tree each year.  My husband and I would see which of us saw the big clock first in the tower on our way there.  The resort housed the famous Time Museum with time pieces many years old.  Now the resort is being demolished.  Kiddieland was sold, demolished and replaced with a Walmart.  

We are witnessing neighborhoods of modest homes being town down and replaced with large expensive homes. Families basically being forced to sell their homes when builders come knocking on their doors. Instead of bigger houses, let's create friendly neighborhoods and community.  When my husband and I moved to our house 32 years ago, our neighbors welcomed us with a lunch filled with homemade foods and welcoming words.  When a neighbor would move away, we would get together and make them an album filled with pictures and memories we had shared.  Recently, we found out a neighbor of ours passed away two months ago and none of us knew about it.  Where's the feeling of belonging and community?  Don't get me wrong.  We have great neighbors and we help one another.  

 Phone calls to businesses when we have a question or concern have been replaced with robotic voices and press 1, 2 or 3.  What happened to a friendly voice asking how your day is going?   

Our world has become so hectic, frantic and busy with over scheduling, I am left to wonder, we are living, but are we enjoying life?  Are we enjoying our moments or just trying to get through the day?

I am young at heart, I'm healthy and full of energy.  However, I have been thrust into conversations with my husband like, where should we be living in the next few years?  Are we close to medical facilities?  Will we be alright living here when one of us is left alone?  Seriously, when did we turn this corner?  Maybe it was the reality of losing a parent and witnessing my husbands Mom and my Dad being left alone to see this is really happening and it doesn't just happen to others. I still feel young but feel I'm aging at a different pace than others my age.  I'm constantly on the move and like to be active.  But I feel life is taking a sense of urgency suddenly and I need to stop the panic and find time to feel like I want to feel.  Is living in the countryside instead of overpopulated suburbia the answer? To live in a state where there is less pressure to keep up and there is time to listen to the birds sing and watch the deer roam leisurely without being judged that you have taken some moments to slow down and enjoy what's in front of you.  It's back to creating safe and familiar. Just give me my family, my kitchen to create hearty meals and delicious baked goods my family and I will enjoy, my woods to watch wildlife and wait for my lillies of the valley to appear, sunrises and sunsets, and time to finally enjoy the stack of books I have been looking forward to reading and I am a happy girl.  Simplicity....and a good cup of coffee in the morning♡

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you today and I wish you a good day.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS