Saturday, December 26, 2015

Leftover Turkey and Guests for the Weekend




Let's face it.  The holidays are a very sentimental time for many of us.  One of the things I treasure most in my home is my Mom's recipe box and a few of her cookbooks.  My sister, daughter's  and I often make Mom's recipes for our families.  There are hundreds of ways you can make chicken soup, meatloaf or vegetable soup, just to name a few.  But when it comes to comfort food, Mom knows best.   I come from a family of 7, so my Mom had to be a whiz at stretching my Dad's paycheck to feed all of us and many times our friends and significant others.  
Christmas is over and now you have a platter of leftover turkey left in the fridge and a houseful of guests to feed.  Need an easy idea for both?  This is one of my favorite recipes I loved growing up and still enjoy with my own family.  I modified the recipe to allow you to make it in the crockpot so you can sit with your family and friends and relax.  This will give you 12 servings.

You need:  3 - 4 cups cooked turkey you have cubed, 1 (16 1/8) ounce cans cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1 1/2  to 2 1/4 cups frozen peas, 24 ounces sour cream.

In crockpot, mix together all of the ingredients except the sour cream.  Cook on low setting for at least 3 hours.  About 1/2 hour before you serve it, mix in the sour cream and mix well.  Continue to cook until it is warmed and you are ready to serve.  
It is delicious served over toast, warm biscuits or mashed potatoes.  

Thanks Mom !  
Enjoy your family and friends and happy weekend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS