Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Soup-er Tuesday (Birthday Soup Edition!)



The pot is by the fire
The water in the pot is hot
If I put something in the water
I can make birthday soup
Let me see what we have
(Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik)



Pin It

I am celebrating my birthday today and my family gave me a wonderful party over the weekend for my special day.  My daughter knows how I love chalkboard paint ideas and she gave me these chalkboard mugs in honor of my "Soup Tuesday" blog theme and I am crazy about these two from Etsy (Check out this great store) Make a big pot of birthday soup for your loved ones having a birthday and you can use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.  

Start with 1-3 pounds of beef, cut into chunks. In a large soup pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil.  Add meat and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.  Add one 46-48 ounce can of tomato juice.  Season with salt, pepper, thyme and a bay leaf.  Add about a teaspoon of Worchestire sauce for flavor.

Return to simmer and add the following:

1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup brown rice
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large celery stalks, chopped

Simmer until lentils and grains are tender, about 30-45 minutes.  When the potatoes seem done, the soup is almost done. Now add frozen vegetables and simmer 10-15 minutes more.  


Serve and accompany with hot fresh bread or biscuits.

Who needs birthday cake when you have birthday soup? (Okay, I do!) But seriously, I love soup...celebrating a birthday is one of life's wonderful pleasures! 


Lakehouse Lyn

                                                   

1 comment:

  1. these cups are AMAZING!!! and the soup sounds super yummy too!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS